There’s something satisfying about lists– whether it’s making them, checking them off or reading someone else’s list. For example, People Magazine’s 50 Most Beautiful People is a very popular issue but it’s just a fancy list with pictures and commentary.
Something less fancy, but definitely more relatable is our general book lists, wish lists, grocery lists, gift lists, bucket lists, and to do lists. In the spirit of listing, here’s what I’ve been up to:
1. I finished reading The Woman In White by Wilkie Collins. This book was rather lengthy so I had serious doubts as to whether I would finish it in anything less than a few months. I finished it faster than I thought. Boy, was it a page turner– Victorian Gothic thriller and all that. Marian Halcombe is one of my favorite characters for she imbues sensitivity, courage and intelligence. She reminds me of Elizabeth Bennett in almost all respects, with the unfortunate exception of the fine eyes. Ms. Halcombe is not the attractive heroine, but I would say that she is in the running to win the best supporting actress category. The “leading lady” is Laura Fairlie who is very attractive, feminine (and weak)! As the object of romantic attention, you would think that this heroine would have her own voice. Not so. She is the one to be defended and the one preyed upon, but never is she the one to take the reins of her destiny.
On Halloween night, after trick or treating, it began to rain. I snuggled between the folds of my down comforter and got lost amidst the pages (and sheets) of secrets and machinations of the Woman in White.
2. Last month, I enrolled in a Fitness Boot Camp. Three times a week at 4:30 am, I force my eyelids to open wide enough so I can stumble into my workout gear, shuffle out the door with a yoga mat, a bottle of water and some weights to make it to the 5:00 am class. The class is outdoors, rain or shine. I’ve arrived home soaking wet from running and doing push-ups in the rain. The good news is that it’s so dark outside that no one sees what you really look like. On the other hand, I could be exercising next to someone from America’s Most Wanted, and I would never know. This month, all the participants are women so I guess I’m not too worried. My clothes fit better and I’ve been able to move down a size. Yahoo!
3. I got the stomach flu. You would think that I would get to my target weight with working out andthe stomach flu, but alas, it was not to be. The children were the first to get it. A few days later, Mr. LT got it. I was the last one standing, and I was feeling pretty smug about it. But in the end, it got me too. Talk about an evil 24 hours. Thank goodness for Vitamin Water, ginger ale and crackers.
4. I have reading block. For lack of a better word, I call it “reading block”– that phenomenon of not knowing what to read next. Maybe I need a reading break because I’ve lost that lovin’ feeling. What do you do when you feel like this?
5. I watched My Week With Marilyn. I’m behind on my movie watching, but I watched this and “Horrible Bosses.” I enjoyed them both.
What have YOU been up to lately?
- The Woman in White, the novel (smearedtype.com)
- The Woman in White – Wilkie Collins (afictionhabit.wordpress.com)
- Fall Fitness Boot Camp (valiantbellus.wordpress.com)